What am I supposed to do with all of the flour and sugar in my food storage? I was told to get it. That I need it.
Well, the only things I know how to make with flour and sugar are cookies and pie crusts. And seriously, how good would those cookies be without some chocolate chips? I don't have any of those in storage because I don't think they last very long. What's a girl to do? It's not like I can live off of cookies, anyway, although sometimes I want to.
Also, rolled oats.... quick oats... ? I don't even know the difference, let alone what to do with them.
Obviously, I am not very domestic, although I have a desire to be. But where to begin?
9 comments:
Bread! Bread! Bread! and tortillas.
yeah. bread.
...and rolls, pizza dough, and dumplings.
I know a great tortilla recipe, as well as bread/roll recipe to make some homemade hot pockets. Pancakes and homemade Chicken pot pie are good too--just do a bisquick substitution recipe and you're set.
For Rolled oats I can only think of no bake cookies, or turning those into flour as well.
P.S. we should do a play date. Aaron's healthy once again so maybe sometime next week we could hang out. We could also invite Holly and Brooklynn and have a little playgroup. Let me know what you think!
Scones, waffles, muffins, cinnamon rolls are all good. But I have started my food storage by getting everything I need to make bread in bulk. That means tons of cans of wheat (I use wheat instead b/c I have a grinder, but flour obviously works here too), sugar (needed to start the yeast), yeast, water (surprisingly frustrating to store), and oil. So you could start with a project like that. I saw that you called earlier and I was on the phone with my mom. I will call you back soon!
It's not that I didn't think of making bread... it's just that I don't know how. Or I haven't tried yet to make it from scratch anyway.
Well, as far as chocolate goes, dark has a shelf life of 1 year, milk and white of 3-6 months. But all three can be stored in the freezer for much longer periods of time. My dad is a bit of an expert on this one.
iam going to come to everybody elses house who posted above with "my" flour & sugar etc. cuz they all sound like good cooks and i'm good at cleaning...especially cooking dishes.
Blair! You are wonderful. As far as food storage goes there is a great book that you can by or read online at providentliving.org. That has TONS of resources about food storage. (store what you eat, eat what you store)
Post a Comment