Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday

I find that being at home everyday leaves me somewhat without structure. Therefore, days and then weeks pass before I realize certain chores have not been done. Growing up as a kid we had a Chore Wheel which designated chores to be done each week and by whom. With that kind of structure, the bathrooms got cleaned every week and the floors got vacuumed. But how to organize these chores when it is just me?

So with a few ideas from my sister, I made a chart of things to be done. Some things get done everyday, like making the bed, doing the dishes, washing a load of laundry if necessary, etc. And other things need be done once, so I gave them each a day of the week to simplify my life and organize my home.

  • Menu Plan Monday: Prepare for the week, shop if necessary, run other errands
  • Tackle it Tuesday: Project day
  • Wash it Wednesday: Bathrooms
  • Thirfty Thursday: Review store adds, organize coupons, pay bills, budget.
  • Floors on Friday: Sweep, mop, and vacuum.
  • Saturday: Is a Special Day--it's a day to get ready for Sunday! We do yard work and any other things that need doing. Last Saturday it was dusting.
So far I've really liked my list. I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment in my home when it is so taken care of. Today I tackled my fridge. It was the first time it has ever been done, actually, since we moved in and bought it over a year ago. And it was surprisingly not overwhelming. I only had to throw away a few things and it cleaned up really nicely. It worked especially well because Annalee took almost a 4 hour nap, so I was able to get lots done.

Mondays' assignment helps so much because although I don't mind making dinner, I hate deciding what to make. So with my new regime, I only have to think about it once instead of everyday. Awesome.

Most people probably do all these things without the list, but I'm a list person. I love being able to check stuff of my To-do list.

Tackle it Tuesday: CHECK

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on making lists. It just seems easier to do when you can see a list to check off. I love this post. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing future projects and thrifty tips.

It was so fun having a play date today.

Erin said...

Love it! I need to break up my week like that instead of trying to fit everything in on Saturday! Chip would love to have some help outside on Saturdays...but maybe I'll wait to implement the new plan until it cools down a bit!

Michael and Lindsey said...

That's a great idea! I love finding new tips on how to be more organized.

Cherri said...

saturday you did balloons too! ha your future kids will love/hate your work wheel.....just ask logan

Sheena said...

I am totally the same way!. I have to make lists about everything. I just recently adopted a weekly chore list as well. Monday=laundry, Tues.=countertops and dusting, etc. I also just started a menu plan a few weeks ago and we have been eating so much better! It's good that you're doing this now when you only have 1 kid. It's harder to establish a routine when there's two kids needing attention. Great job!

tyandlinds said...

so cute

Blog Archive

I am...

I am...
Happy