Well, I've known for a few weeks now that my baby is in breach position and I've heard a bunch of different things to try to get her to turn. Since her weight is down in the pelvis where there is not much room, it's hard for her to turn when I am upright. My doctor said not to stand on my head or anything, but one thing he did suggest was to get in stink-bug position, basically, on my knees but with my head down, so that the baby's weight would go to the top of the uterus where she would have more room to turn. This I did do multiple times in the following week, but it starts to hurt my shoulders after awhile supporting myself upside down like that.
Anyway, at my next appt she still hadn't turned, so today I had an appointment scheduled this morning for 7am at the hospital to meet with my doctor to see if he could turn her. Doing "aversion" or external manipulation of my belly to push the baby around, actually hurts a lot. It was no fun. Especially because I had to have an IV and everything. They do it in the hospital because sometimes it causes the water to break and the mother to go into labor.
So leading up to my appointment today, there were so many outcomes that could have happened, it was hard to be prepared for what today would bring.
- She could have turned already on her own, and I would have turned around and gone home.
- He could have turned her and sent me home to go into labor on my own later.
- He could have turned her and then induced me, since I was already there in the hospital (which he said he would do if I wanted.)
- He could have not been able to turn her and sent me home.
- He could have not turned her but caused my water to break and had to do a C-section right there...
- so many possibilities.
Well, almost half of those outcomes were me coming home with a baby in my arms instead of in my belly, so we prepared and went to the hospital as if that were the case. Bags packed and all.
It turns out the most disappointing one of all, Number 4, is what happened.
Her upper body moved freely but he couldn't get her bum out of my pelvis. And since I am only 37 weeks today he didn't want to do anything hasty. He sent me home, only to try again next week. At 38 weeks, he is more willing to take her out if she won't turn, so next thursday I get to rise bright and early (well, still dark and early) to be at the hospital at 4am for a 6am appt with the doc.
He's going to try again, with an epidural this time, to see if my more relaxed body will let the baby turn. If she does, I will deliver her vaginally (with pitocin if necessary) and if she doesn't turn, he will do a C-section. Either way, I'm pretty sure I will be having this baby next thursday (unless I go into labor sooner).
Not so excited about the prospect of a C-section, but I know lots of women that have recovered from them just fine. The risk of delivering the baby breach (which my doc has done before successfully more than a few times) is still too much for me. I will take the c-section over that possibility.
I guess we are looking forward to an April 22nd birthday. Yay Phoebe.
11 comments:
Fun stuff! Not really. But you're going to have a baby next week! Better freshen up on the BabyGami. I'll be thinking of you!
I was so excited for the baby to come today. Oh well, that stinker will come in her time whether by force or persuasion.
So sorry, Blair! I was hoping she'd be accomodating! She must be waiting for you to finish your visiting teaching next week. :) Let me know if I can do anything for you!
Ah, so dissapointing! I know those last weeks are not fun at all! Just a little bit longer!
So I'm not sure if I should be excited for you bummed out. Let's just say that you were right the baby was going to be born in April and it will be wonderful for her to get here. Bummer that it might be a C section. Good luck with everything. This is so exciting for me b/c it means I'm next.
darn. but we all know she's coming soon. hang in there!
oh, and april 22 is a great birthday.
How frustrating! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Well, we look forward to seeing Phoebe next week! Hopefully everything goes well and you don't have to have a c-section!
Well since we have the same doctor I'm sure he'll do a great job with the bringing forth of your sweet baby either way. Hopefully it'll will all work out and you can avoid the C-Section--but if not at least you are in great hands.
April is a great month to have a baby in. I can't believe how fast your pregnancy has gone. Good luck with whatever may come next week. And Hurray that you get to have another sweet baby in your arms soon.
Life is what happens while we're planning something else. Will keep this whole ordeal under prayer mode!
Post a Comment